Friday, June 17, 2011

Sew Easy

A little "tutorial" on using the Sew Easy :-) I wish I had a flip cam, but I don't so I have to take pictures and try to explain what I'm doing along the way, I hope that's ok :-)

Sew Easy Mat. Love that it's Pink :-)


I don't have the sew Easy carry case yet which you can see here. So I had this case laying around that I got a few months ago at M's for 4.99 so I decided to use it and it's working perfectly to hold everything so far :-)


I'm pretty happy with the way everything fits, and there is still room for more. I also have some extra needles and a paper piercer I keep in here as well :-)


Ok. I am using my favorite sew easy head for this tutorial, the heart one. I love this one so much and have used it on a card I made in the past :-) You need to hold the tool so the head is straight down on the paper and push the tool away from you. Make sure you put a lot of pressure down on the tool when you go across your paper :-)


Here is how it looks when it's done. Notice on the right hand side where I started not all of the holes were punched all the way through, that's b/c it's hard to get good pressure on the paper when you first start but it's an easy fix :-)


OK, so when this happens I take my paper piercer and pierce through where the holes didn't completely go through the paper. Easy peasy :-)


OK, here it is with the design done and the holes completely through all the cardstock :-)


I love how you can store the needle in the end of the tool. Very helpful if you are like me and misplace things often :-)


Now that we have our needle we are ready to find our thread and start sewing. I have a ton of embroidery floss from when I used to cross stitch so I found a light pink floss to use :-)


Now to start the fun part, the sewing. Yes it takes time to do, but I find it very theraputic. I can work on it in front of the tv and I just find it soothing. It was the same way for me when I used to cross stitch. I just loved it!


Got one cute heart done.


Now two, you can see how pretty the design is :-)


 I decided to only do three hearts for this project, so now I am done with the sewing part, looks really pretty. I love the sewed look :-)


When I am done I tie the loose ends up and then stick a glue dot on the end of each floss to keep it in place.


You can see here where I added my glue dots so the ends stay in place :-)


I decided for this project to cut the hearts out and added some pop up dimensionals to the back of each heart :-)


I used my Bazzill jewel stencils to add a heart to my card. I didn't realize these were NOT heat resistant like the I-rock stencils which ARE heat resistant. I wanted to point this out b/c I don't want you to make the same mistake I did and ruin your Bazzill stencils with your I-rock tool. This is what happened to the stencil below after I used it to heat set some gems  :-( I think the bazzill stencils are meant to be used with pre-adhered gems that you just pop into the stencil and the gems already have sticky on them so you don't have to heat them up. The stencils seemed really tough though, so I didnt' even think about the I-rock tool melting the plastic on them. Just wanted to warn everyone so it wouldn't happen to them. I will stick to the I-Rock stencils if I'm heat setting stencils from now on :-)
Here you can see the Bazzill stencil and that the heat tool melted it some.



SO, now I am going to go about this a different way. When I use the bazzill stencils from now on, I will have to take the stencil, and lay it down on my paper and mark with a pencil or a pen in between each circle on the template to where I would put the gems when using the template.


So now I have my stencil with my pen marks on the paper to make the design. I can add the heat fix jewels by lining them up with the pencil / pen marks and put one jewel on each mark to know where they will go and then use the heat fix tool on those jewels and heat them that way to make the design :-)


Or if you want to use the Bazzill jewel templete and want to use it for sewing instead of jewels you can by taking out my paper piercer and going over the pencil  or pen marks to show where to lay the gems on the paper. Also if you want to you can use the hole puncher to put holes in the image and you can now use this for sewing as well or you can just leave the holes in for a pierced look :-)


Here is my finished Card. It's not the best card, just wanted to show you how to use the Sew Easy to add a sewed look to your cards.



Thanks for following along :-)

31 comments:

Crafting Katie said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I never really knew what the Sew Easy was, and now I'm intrigued! I'm also a former cross-stitcher, so I do have lots of floss too. Hmmm. Your card turned out just as cute as can be!

Amy said...

That is so cute! I love the way those stitched hearts look. Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog, I am now your newest follower too! :)
Amy "redheaded crafter"

redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

Audrey Frelx said...

Hi, Samantha! Wow, what a pretty card!!! I've seen the sew easy and judging by your card, you can make some terrific cards -- I might have to try it out!

Seems like forever since I've been around to visit. I've been in and out of the community lately dealing with issues and I've missed out on a lot; it's going to be a busy summer for me too but, hopefully a fune one. I'm going to really work at squeezing in more time to drop in on my blog-families though! Need to do some serious catching up!

Love the card and I'll be back when and as often as I can -- considering... LOL!

Hugs, my friend!

9 2 midnight said...

That's a very cute card. Love the way u did the stitching. Thx for becoming a follower on my blog. Will certainly add you to my blog list so I can see the lovely things you create. cheers Julie

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Had not heard of the Sew Easy and your step by step shows it off nicely. Thanks for becoming a new follower of my blog. So cool that I now have 30 followers after starting blog in April. Found your blog & am a new follower of you.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"
http://createdbysunshinehoneybee.blogspot.com

Angie said...

Well, this is great, thank you for sharing. My sister and I both got the Sew Easy and I haven't used mine yet but, she said it was kind of difficult so this is very helpful...and what a cute card you ended up with!!!

Jessica said...

What a great tutorial! I learned about a lot of tools I hadn't known about before. Sorry you melted your template. :O(
Great Card...I love the different shades of pink and the hearts are great!
:O)
Jessica

Crayola58 said...

What a great tutorial, and a great process. I have a sewing machine just for sewing on paper and it is such "fun" to make hearts. This process you show makes it look easy peasy.
Carole

Larelyn said...

Thanks so much. I have the Sew Easy, but still haven't used it. I love your storage box - mine's a basket with not enough room and I definitely can't use it for travel. I must try it!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What a great tutorial on how to use the Sew Easy... I brought it awhile back and haven't even used it yet... I love the card, I think it's adorable. hugs

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great tutorial! I don't have one of these but it is going on the list! Adorable card! :)

GabyCreates.com said...

Hi Samantha.. great tutorial and I do have a flip camera and am too chicken to video tape myself!... have to work on that this month! Thanks for always leaving great comments on my blog!

Amy said...

Hello again, my newst bloggy friend! :) I have an award for you over on my blog!
Amy

http://redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com/2011/06/blog-award.html

Amy said...

Love these!! Love your sewing!

Amy said...

WOWZERS!! This is an AWESOME tutorial!! I've been debating whether or not I would use one of these (since I have an addiction to craft supplies! LOL)... Your tutorial is pushing me to the "NEED" category!! :) heehee...

Thanks so much for stopping to visit me this weekend -- I really appreciate your super sweet comments on my cards!! I'm happy to be your newest follower now...

Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com
and Decorate To Celebrate!

Tanya said...

Great tutorial! And what a cutie patootie card! Your stitching just adds so much detail and dimension to your card...adorable!

Rachel said...

I'm not even looking to get the Sew Easy, but I still had to read your update anyway because you explained it SO well! I was just interested in how you were showcasing each step! Love the card, by the way and the other cards you have on your blog!

Audrey Frelx said...

Hi, girlfriend! I was making my rounds around the neighborhood visiting, and thought I'd stop by again just to say hi along the way!!!

Lisa said...

Wow, this is so awesome, Samantha! The stitched hearts look so amazing! Thank you for explaining the Sew Easy...it is now officially on my wish list!! :D

Lisa
http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

Mona L. Pendleton said...

So cute :)

Tammy (P.M.S) said...

Hi Samantha! I hope you are having a great day! Stop by my blog when you get a chance, I have an award waiting for you. :)

www.positivelymagnificientscrapper.blogspot.com

Tammy

Pam (AKA CraftyK) said...

Wow that is cool...I think I need ok want one of those.

Samantha I have a award for you over on my blog please hop over and take a look.
pjscreativecorner.blogspot.com

sharon said...

oh this is a wonderful tutorial on sewing/piercing, I LOVE IT!! You do amazing work! I am a follower too! :)

lynn said...

thanks for sharing this great tutorial, samantha! this looks like a lot of fun! darling card:)

ChatterScene.com said...

TY for the Tutorial. I have such a hard time using my sew easy:)

And super cute card:)

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Great tutorial! I have one and I could not figure it out! Thanks!

girlia said...

Great job on the tutorial. I was wondering how the projects would turn out. It looks great!

Diana said...

Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I have just started playing with my sew easy!! You did a great job!

CraftyShell said...

Oh how neat I have never seen this tool. Thanks for posting this would have never seen it if you had not.

Dawn said...

Thank you for this tutorial! I saw the Sew Easy advertised before it was available and thought I'd want. You confirmed it. Thanks!! Adorable card.
Dawn
http://deegeescraps.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

I always wondered how that works..thanks for sharing!!